The Puritan is now hiring publicity agents!
NOW HIRING: PUBLICITY AGENTS
Are you invested in the publishing community and looking for a crash course in Toronto’s vibrant literary scene? Are you outgoing and social media savvy, comfortable with creating connections both online and in person? Then joining our team of Publicity Agents might be perfect for you!
The Puritan is currently seeking three new Publicity Agents to assist our team with the promotion, development, and overall quality of the publication.
Publicity Agents will be responsible for promoting the journal and its sister blog, The Town Crier, at readings and other events, as well as handling all social media promotion.
PUBLICITY AGENTS WILL:
- represent the journal by attending local area readings,
- scout potential talent for the journal and solicit work from writers,
- manage the social media element of our advertising campaigns, including daily Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook updates (promoting blog posts, author news, events, etc.),
- research current Toronto-area arts and literature events,
- distribute promotional material and promote contests, projects, etc.,
- write short blog posts which engage with an event, an author, a book, or another element of the Toronto (or Canadian) literary community.
Interested candidates should familiarize themselves with the magazine, its history, and the work it publishes. Puritan associates are expected to devote approximately TEN (10) hours per week to tasks and assignments. Publicity Agent positions will last four months, from (approximately) early March to the end of June. All agents should be available to meet with Puritan staff within the city of Toronto. Agents are expected to check and respond to email correspondence and will also write very short weekly summaries of work completed.
IN ADDITION, ALL PURITAN PUBLICITY AGENTS SHOULD HAVE:
- a BA (or equivalent, or higher, or be enrolled) in English Literature, Creative Writing, Journalism, Design, Publishing, or related fields,
- knowledge of and interest in contemporary Canadian literature, literary communities, and magazine publishing,
- strong interpersonal skills,
- excellent written and oral communication skills,
- proficiency with MS programs and Google mail/docs (knowledge of WordPress and/or Adobe Creative Suite applications considered a plus),
- the ability to follow instructions in a timely manner and meet strict deadlines,
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team,
- familiarity with social media, and (most importantly)
- enthusiasm and moxie!
We are a volunteer-run organization, and the founding and associate editors do not receive any income from the magazine. However, Publicity Agents will each receive an honorarium of $300 for their valuable assistance. We offer successful candidates additional benefits, as well, such as letters of reference, resume evaluation, review copies of new or forthcoming books from Canadian publishers, and an excellent platform for establishing professional connections.
Interested parties should send a cover letter and resume (or CV) as .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letters should answer these three questions: 1) What draws you to The Puritan in particular? 2) How will you contribute to our overall advertising and marketing goals, in person and on social media? and 3) What experience makes you specifically suited for a role in publicity?
All applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 20th, 2017, and positions will begin in March. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.